Homemade pear preserves are the best! When pears are in season, we make pear preserves.
- 2 large pots
- 7 half-pint jars with lids
- 16 cups peeled, sliced fresh pears (about 16 medium)
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- In a large pot, combine pears, sugar, water, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
- Cook, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until mixture thickens. It should reach a spreadable consistency.
- Remove from heat. Ladle Into seven hot half-pint jars. Be sure to leave 1/4" headspace.
- Wipe rims. Place lids on the jars. Screw on lids until fingertip tight.
- Place jars in canner or large pot. The jars must be completely covered with water. Bring to a boil. Let boil, or process, for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars and cool. After 24 hours, the jars that haven't sealed should be placed in the refridgerator.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
I’ve always loved gardening and recently started full time as well as taking care of the chickens and other animals our family has (dogs, a bird, a snake, and rabbits).